Brand: Good Bowl Habit Code: GBHB
A must have book for anyone experiencing bowel problems, including constipation.
This is a completely updated and re-written edition of the highly acclaimed "Pelvic Floor Function and the Bowel".
Packed with information and excellent illustrations, this volume covers:
- Bowel function and anatomy
- The role of the pelvic floor muscles
- Bowel problems and their management, including constipation, faecal incontinence, pain conditions, and specific bowel disorders
- Suggestions on ways to improve bowel function and pelvic floor strengthening
- Practical strategies for coping
The book is intended as a simple, self-help guide to improve understanding of constipation, difficult bowel evacuation and faecal incontinence.
It opens with the following quote:
" I have finally kum to the konklusion, that a godd reliable sett ov bowels iz worth more tu a man, than enny quantity of brains"
Josh Billings 1866
Dr Robyn Nagel is a gastro-enterologist in practice in Toowoomba, Qld and Shirley Owen is a retired women's health physiotherapist. Between them they have 30 years' experience in their fields.
As well as bringing their outstanding professional knowledge, they also discuss these difficult issues with a sense of empathy with those who are experiencing problems.
Full colour photographic illustrations are used throughout.
- A good bowel habit
- Difficult bowel habits
- How does the bowel function?
- Clinical assessment
- The pelvic floor- what is it?
- The pelvic floor - more about the muscles
- muscle tone
- pelvic floor outlet muscles
- pelvic platform muscles
- The pelvic floor, core stability and the abdominal cylinder
- Pelvic floor weakness - the descent begins
- Pelvic floor weakness - signs and symptoms
- Clinical evaluation of the pelvic floor
- Pelvic floor weakness - who is at increased risk?
- simplpe constipation
- slow transit
- obstructed defaecation
- Faecal Incontinence
- central control / local control / causes / assessment / management /
- Pain around the back passage
- anal fissure / haemorrhoids / vulval varicosities / proctalgia fugax / levatot ani syndrome / coccydynia / anismus
- Pressure in the bowel
- diverticulitis / irritable bowel syndrome / flatulence
- How to imporve bowel function
- planning a toilet routine / improving the consistency of the stool / specific exercises and evacuation techniques
- Strengthening of the pelvic floor
- why do we do these exercises? / posture / abdominal exercises / pelvic floor muscles / relaxation techniques for pelvic floor muscles
- The pelvic floor training routine - PAP
- Technique for emptying the bowel - POP
- Technique for emptying the bladder - PEP
- Technique for coping with urgency and incontinence
- After the exercise - what next?
- specialist help
- devices and appliances
- Contact information
- About the authors